Wednesday, September 5, 2012

We pause for this message about "Life"....

For some of you excited to see another step in my ladder to weight loss triumph, we are pausing for a moment to bring you Mo's life. I am not really sure why I feel the need to let you know what is going on at this moment in time, maybe it is just that time of day where I want to journal or vent or just let you know how I am doing. More so of how I am doing then anything.

For those that are wondering where my other half is of this blog - the Mer - of Mo and Mer...well, she is doing well. We have been connected more so at the hip then anything lately, but on the phone. We talk everyday and are keeping each other upbeat with many things. Mer has started a new job and is trying to get settled in with her new office, space and surroundings, as she had to move her office twice in the last few months. We see each other often and we are both looking forward to a relaxing weekend together in a few weeks at a friends Bed and Breakfast digs. Sending her a big hug today!!!
(Image from Planters Peanuts)




Me - the Mo factor - well, here it is in a nutshell -   







I have been out of work since February 9th. Had some interviews, but nothing has moved to the second interview. I have been surviving on unemployment, a little bit of help from family (and not by me asking) and recently I qualified for a program that is helping pay my mortgage (as long as I am unemployed). I am going a bit stir crazy, but for sure am keeping busy.

When I am not volunteering in my sisters classroom (she teaches 2nd grade) making copies, correcting papers or just lending a hand where needed, then I am - or I can say I was - working on the Cub Scout Day Camp. I successfully ran a program (and can I say single handily....okay - I did have help from a good handful or more of volunteers, but I did a big bulk of the program on my own). We had 177 Scouts come to our camp for three short afternoons and over 110 volunteers last June. I have now "stepped down" and am looking for a replacement. Really wish that someone or even more then just one person or two or three would step up and take on this challenge. If no one does, then I know what might happen, but I don't want to say that or even write it down (more then one person would start yelling at me if I did). 

After doing all of that I also signed up to help at my sons school. I have helped with Lunch on the Lawn events and even the Spring Book Fair. This school year began some 4 weeks ago and now I am calling myself "NOT" the PTA President. Which basically means I AM the PTA president. I am trying to keep my "duties" to one morning a week on that, and doing my best to keep myself in check about it or it will be consuming. 

Then just two weeks ago, when I realized that I had exhausted all of my unemployment payments - yes, I am waiting patiently for the "extension" to come (everyone gets one, right????) I went down to the Chamber of Commerce office and I am now volunteering two days for a total of 4 hours. I am helping cover the front desk during lunch and have been updating a travel data base they have for their travel club. Today was pretty exciting, because even if I didn't feel I got much accomplished I received the best compliment. As I was going over my results for the day with my supervisor she turned to me and said "I really enjoy working with you". I am still sitting here in awe of what she said. Not only did that boost my confidence, but I drove home with a huge smile. I even tried calling her later on in the day to say thank you because it is hard to take a compliment and well, I was a bit taken back that she was saying how much she enjoyed working with me. Shouldn't I be saying that to her? I have also been told that about 70% of their volunteers find full-time employment by just coming in and volunteering at the Chamber. I am loving working there, even if I am not getting paid. I am keeping my hours at a minimum and well, it is nice to be appreciated for only been there for about 4 days now.

I bet you are reading this, man when does this lady ever have time to find work? Well, I feel the networking is my best bet. However, I do spend about 2-3 hours a day on the Internet looking for work. The time extends out more if I actually find something I am not overqualified for, the pay is not going to hit me too much in the pocket book or that I can actually apply and have hopes of getting a response. When the media has said that things are tough out there, they really are not kidding. Overall I am doing well. I do have my moments. Heck, doesn't everyone. Keeping my chin up. 

When I am not looking for work, thinking about having a garage sale to make money, contemplating looking for recycled cans in the garbage to even make a few more extra pennies, then I am dealing with my son. We are busy with Scouts (he has now moved onto the Boy level - which I am so happy for) and selling Scout popcorn for the fundraiser, or selling chocolates for his schools fundraiser (happy to know that I only had one bite of a full bar) or running off to soccer practice....phew - tired. Then my son is 11 and he is growing up. He is experiencing new aspects of that growing up and well, this single Mom is still trying to figure out how to help him through it all. More responsibilities are a struggle each day, for both of us. 

Now I hope that you have not read this and been sad. I am really upbeat, most days. I do have my meltdowns - as Mer could tell you - but overall I am holding my own. I am thrilled that I am making sure things are getting done, projects are being completed and well, this moment of not working will pass. Before you know it I will be working full-time again and I will be pulling out my hair more so now then ever - LOL

Wishing all of you the best of weeks and thank you for reading!!!!!!
Stay tuned for a regularly scheduled ladder step to weight loss success in the coming days.....


MO

No comments: