Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Little Shop of Horrors!

I have an event on Friday night. One that I am sort of looking forward to, but not really. It is a Speed Dating night. I told one of my girlfriends that I would support her in this effort. Go with her for moral support and in the long run if I run into someone that I like or that likes me, then it would be a win win situation - maybe??? Speed Dating - the possibility of meeting many "boys" and hoping that one will be interested in me in the 6 minutes we have together and then Presto - Chango - Date Central?!? Right?? I do really well with people (or I think I do) once I get to know them, but put me in a room with new people and it takes me sometime to open up, let loose and have fun. I am not so sure 6 minutes to flirt, have fun and not go on and on too much about my dreams, ambitions and hopes for the future is going to be enough time (LOL). This night will make me so nervous that I might just be myself from the very start and the laughter is going to be my friend. Maybe this will be a good thing. I am not sure at this point.
 

Here's the thing....this event tells you on their website that it is right after work, some cocktails and appetizers will be provided, business attire kind of affair. Well, I am not sure what my girlfriend knows about business attire, but she wants me to go shopping for a cocktail dress. Really? What? Are you kidding me? I only wear dresses for weddings, funerals and maybe for something very upscale. And you want me to wear a cocktail dress? Pretty funny. Yes, it is on Friday night and if the night is a bust we are going to hit the dance floor for our own kind of fun afterwards, but a cocktail dress?!? (yes, having a hard time with this) I can't remember the last time I wore a dress. I do like to wear dresses, but there really is never a good reason to pull one out of the back of the closet. Now, I don't plan on wearing a pant suit or a business suit. I did want to wear some nice dress pants and do a dressy somewhat sexy shirt/blouse kind of thing. I have those in my closet. In fact, I haven't been out in a long time, so those shirts are ready to be worn again.

Even the best emails and phone calls could not convince my girlfriend that me going through my closet was going to be the best option. Tried as I might I have been "roped" into going shopping with my friend. I am not looking forward to this trip. I love to go shopping for myself, when I am in the mood. I will say that this week I am not in the mood. One reason is that money is kind of tight right now and well, school shopping took a lot out of my account last night with Aman, and we didn't even find a backpack and new pants for him. The other reason is a very uncomfortable one for me. I can not go shopping with a lot of my friends. They are way below the size 14, 12 and 10 marks and I even think this one friend wears a size 8. So, you know that we can't go shopping in the same department, much less same store. I will have to tell my friend what size clothes I really do wear. I know, I know - I have posted a couple of times what size clothes I am wearing - before and now, but to actually tell a friend is tough for me. Sometimes I will tell them and they will look at me and say - no, that is not possible. I feel that I carry my weight in a very good way, but in the most recent weeks as I have looked at myself in the mirror and in pictures I am not seeing that. I am sure that my friends are noticing it too. The last email I received about this upcoming shopping trip said - we are going to hit JCPenney's - you will be able to find something nice there. Really - Seriously - JCPenney's - I don't think I am going to find a nice outfit there? I hate shopping at JCPenney's. I will have to go to the second floor bigger size woman's area, while my friend gets to stay downstairs and stroll the aisles for her perfect outfit. What fun is that - me on one floor, her on the other?


The other big issue I am having with doing this shopping trip is this - I am shrinking out of my clothes. A few weeks ago I had to go get a few new pair of pants. The ones I had been wearing were now close to 3 sizes too big, the belts were not working anymore and well, having all the extra fabric around me did not give me a chance to feel good about what I was accomplishing in the weight loss department. One of the pants I purchased was a perfect fit. I put it on less then 1 week later and wouldn't you know it, I was pulling them up every 15 minutes or so. I thought it was weird. Maybe I didn't get the right size. Nope, the number is right. I washed them and put them on just two days ago and again, should have gotten the belt out. I am shrinking. Not only are the pounds coming off, but inches are dropping. Purchasing something new, that is for a dress up kind of affair is going to be hard for me. I will wear it once and then won't have the chance to wear it again for sometime, as I do not wear dress up clothes for work. This outfit better be on sale or I am going to be kicking and screaming all the way to the cashier and this speed dating thing better produce TWO dates to make this all worth it - LOL

Oh, how can I get out of this trip today? Maybe a flat tire? Or come down with a 24 hour flu? Or Or Or - the wheels are turning. Then I sit back and say to myself, if I don't go then I will be very frustrated with what I do pick out of my closet.

I am going to suck it up. I guess I could always leave the tag on and take it back on Saturday (ha, ha). What we do for our friends! I am going to go into it with a positive attitude, have fun with it and see how it goes. Wishing me luck. 

 Staying MOtivated MO

4 comments:

Chubby McGee said...

I say you go shopping for a new pair of dress slacks and a pretty blouse to go with it. You want to be comfortable and be yourself. What if you meet the right guy on your speed dating circuit? You won't really be yourself if you're not dressed like the Mo that you really are. Right?

Be comfortable. Don't go out and spend money on something that 1.) you won't feel comfy in and 2.) you'll never wear again AND 3.) won't fit in for long anyway. Be yourself. Wear something NEW that is YOU. :)

I'm excited for you, too! Can't wait to hear how it goes. :)

Mer and Mo said...

You know what I think you should buy, but I won't say it! LOL! I know you are thinking up a brilliant post for it. Ok, I am foreshadowing for everyone, but they have no idea what the heck I am referring to.
I am with Chubby McGee- be yourself and be the BEST MO that you can be.
Btw, you are the QUEEN of small talk so if he is interested you will jazz him in 6 minutes and they are blind if they don't "see" the GREAT person you are.
So looking forward to the post on this!
Have a hump day!
Always on the Move- MER

Anonymous said...

I agree with both Chubby McGee and Mer. It is time to buy yourself a new pretty blouse and dress pants. So what if you grow out of them in two weeks or so...YOU need to keep up with your weight loss buy wearing clothes that fit now...yes it may hurt the budget a bit but it will keep you on track on this amazing journey you are on. Post pics of you in your outfit! Can't wait for the post!!!

Dawn said...

I think you won't enjoy the night for sure if you're wearing something you didn't want to buy and wont be able to wear for long. I think you should drop your friend an email, or phone her and be friendly, but firm and say what YOU want to wear. Having said that, buying something lovely and that suits you and makes you feel fabulous would give you a boost after all this hard work and make you feel like you are going to the speed dating looking great. Can't wait to hear how it goes. Sometimes we enjoy the event we are not really looking forward to
Dawn