Thursday, June 16, 2011

Home Sweet Home

I am home from Alaska. There is no place like being home. I love being surrounded by the people that I love. I love that here in California we have darkness. That was the one thing that I did not like about Alaska's summer. They called it, "Midnight Summer Madness." When I showed up at the conference center at 2:30 AM there were students playing frisbee on the lawn and people walking around everywhere. I was told that they just don't sleep much during the summer. They work, work, work as much as they can outside in the light.  It made me exhausted to not have sleep since the blinds in my room just did not block it out enough. I do have to say the Alaskan's are hardy, friendly people. I liked the slower pace of their lifestyle and it really reminded me of Humboldt State University.
But one good thing that I can report is that I did not gain or lose weight on this trip.  I did a lot of eating. The Alaskan's are big into their ice cream. A place where it gets 40 below and they are into ice cream! I will admit that I had ice cream 3 times last week. That is not normal what so ever, but I couldn't resist- peanut butter-chocolate, blackberry or oatmeal cranberry ice cream, but I did a lot of walking and hiking. I did not have a car while in Alaska so I had to walk to most places and I really liked that. A nice way to get around and walk off the calories from that cold sweet stuff.
For now, I am just taking all the hugs and kisses in from my kids and spouse. There is nothing like a little boy who stops what he is playing with and comes over to hug his momma. There is nothing better than getting coffee in bed from a good spouse. There is nothing better than being squished between both kids on the couch. I loved my adventure in Alaska, but there is truth in "Home Sweet Home."
GETTING BACK TO IT!
I CAN DO IT!
RENEWING TO MY GOALS!
GOING TO MAKE IT-
NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS!
Always,
Mer

2 comments:

Karen@WaistingTime said...

I'd love to visit Alaska someday:)

Michele said...

Great job on eating that you did not post a gain!

We have students in Barrow who I visited last year on site. Really amazing place, Barrow and the North Slope. But I know what you mean about the light and activity levels into the "night." I was there in April and remember going out on a walk to take pictures of the sunset at 1 am!!