Here are my notes from this reading-
- Common phrase-"I've already blown it so I might as well go ahead and eat the rest."
- Saying this reinforces your sense of failure and disappointment
- gives yourself permission for the minor slip up with a major eating binge.
- throw old dieting lines out and begin using kinder more gentler voice when talking to yourself
- one mistake doesn't ruin your entire plan-look at it as a minor event
- look at your eating struggle and try to figure out what happen.
- focus on taking care of the need instead of the food
- creating some neutral ways of dealing with the minor set backs like-
"Isn't that interesting? I wonder what that was all about."
"That was minor so I need to keep it that way."
"Good job, you caught yourself. Now, get back on track"
"I am not sure what I was thinking, but it is time to stop and doing something else"
"That sure tasted good. Time to refocus and start over"
"Stop. Draw a line in the sand and step over it. No looking back."
This past week I put an M & M Easter egg in my mouth and immediately I stopped myself. I took out the M & M when I heard the voice in my head say, "What are you doing? You don't want that! Spit it out! Spit it out!" I laughed at myself when I did that since the voice usually say, "Yum, get another one! That was not enough." I think my self-talk and willpower is getting better. I also took pictures of Easter cookies from one of my bakeries and usually I slip and eat one of them, but not this time. I just took pictures and put them back in the box for my family to eat. I was really proud of myself, but I also think that the Body for Life meals have stopped those sweet cravings. I eat 5-6 meals a day now and it helps having smaller meals so that I am not ravenous by the time I eat because usually I overeat when I am really hungry. It is so important to change what you are saying to yourself when you are changing your habits and carrying them around in a little notebook helps since it has to become automatic the phrases have to pop in your head like an instant message.
So, what will you say to yourself when you have a minor slip up?
ONE MISTAKE IS JUST THAT!
GET BACK ON TRACK!
SAY ONLY GOOD THINGS!
YOU CAN DO IT!
NEVER GIVE UP!