Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 14,15, 16- 100 Days of Weight Loss by Mer

I was gone all weekend, but brought my book along to keep me motivated so here are notes to remember-

Day 14- Morning effects evening


p. 30- "If you eat breakfast everyday you'll eventually retrain your stomach to manage food better in the mornings It may take time for your body to adjust, but  after a week on your new schedule, your all day hunger will disappear. "
I am a breakfast eater, but I did not start out that way. I wanted to set a good example for my own children so I never skip breakfast. This week I started eating a mid morning snack of cheese and a fruit. This seems to help me get through with enough fuel.
p. 30- "When you don't give yourself food during the early part of the day, by late afternoon, it starts screaming for food."
p. 31- "Afternoon droop remedy- By this time of the day, fatigue and hunger can easily ruin your judgement about eating. To manage this late day, high risk time, always eat a snack between 3 and 4 o'clock in the afternoon."
I started the 3 pm snack today. I was trying to leave for a meeting when I realized that I did not have my snack so I went back into my office to get it and my daughter said, "Mom, you went back for an apple and cheese?" My answer was, "Yup, need my snack to keep me going this afternoon."

Day 15- First Two Bites


p. 32- "...first two bites of any food will have the most flavor."
Enjoy the textures and flavors of your food. Not hard for me since I love food, but I have to stop the "feeding." I have to relish in the burst of freshness, textures and minute details of the flavor profile and the memories that may be associated with the food that I am eating. I have to learn to stop when I have gotten out of it what I needed and I have to be okay with throwing a way the food after the two bites.

Day 16- Stop wasting food


Cleaning my plate and eating my son't leftovers is bad. Here is the new saying for cleaning your plate-
"Every time you eat food your body doesn't need, you are wasting it!
When I was really little my father told me that if I did not eat my food that it would run away from the mountains. People in the Philippines were very poor and did not have a lot of food at times. From then, on I always cleaned my plate. But no more. I am going to work on this, but I can tell you right now that I will have a hard time with it. 

2 comments:

Mer and Mo said...

Had a conversation with my neighbor last night all about Day 16. She and I have the same thought as you. My father grew up in the late stages of the depression and for sure you had to eat everything on your plate. Today we are full of oversized, supersized and fill the plate aspects, but why should we feel like we have to finish the plate?! If you order out, then make sure you plate up 1/2 for the next day - then you won't feel so bad about not cleaning the plate. If eating at home, make sure you measure out what your body only needs. Don't be tempted to snack or pick at your son's plate - eventually he will grow up and eat you out of house and home - LOL

Mer and Mo said...

Opps - meant to day the Great Depression....