Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 10- Appreciate good support

100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle

This is a hard one for me to take gracefully. I know it is something that I do have to learn, but it is so hard for me because I am really hard on myself always.  You wouldn't know it since on the outside I appear easy going, but on the inside I strive to be the best all the time and when I can't be that I beat myself up in a really bad way. So when someone compliments me I think-

" I should be able to look better."
" I am not where I want to be yet."
"What I really don't look that good. Do I?"

I know I need to change what I say to myself when someone compliments me-

" If s/he thinks I look good then I must be making progress."
" So my lifestyle changes are working. Must keep going. I know I can do this!"

I also have to learn to affirm and appreciate the other person complimenting me and here is the suggestion from the book-

"Thanks so much you have no idea how much it means to hear you say that."
"You really made my day by telling me that! Thank you so much!"

I also like that the book reminds you not to set people up for an uncomfortable situations by asking them the following-

  • Does this dress make me look fat?
  • Can you tell if I've lost any weight?
  • Does my fat stomach bother you?
I know my family gets impatient with me when I don't do what I said I would do. I have to let them know that it is not their fault. My family is not responsible for the changes that I am making. I really have to appreciate them more because they have always been here when I am ready to work on it and have stuck by me for years as I have struggled with my weight. This has been a long time issue for me and I am finally at a point where I am really ready to look in the mirror and face my emotions and my issues with my self-esteem. This not going to be easy, but I feel confident that I have to tools and support to help me wade through it. 
So one of my fellow teacher friends stopped me in the office and told me that I have inspired her to exercise. She likes that I post on my facebook that I go to boot camp in  the morning. She thought about it and realized that it is the only time you have for yourself. I did graciously thanked her for saying that and invited her to bootcamp. It was really nice to know that I have inspired others to be healthy and take care of themselves no matter how busy we get. 
Time to get out there to make changes and you never know who you are inspiring so just do it no matter what! 

1 comment:

Mer and Mo said...

You are an inspiration to me!!! You not only have been my friend for over 22 years (nope - don't feel old), but you have been there for me. I know what you go through, because I am one that knows you well. You keep me motivated, inspired and I am very glad to are taking this journey together. I wouldn't have changed the "connected at the hip" college days for nothing!! Now we need to be connected with the lifestyle! Stay strong, take the compliments with a smile!! Think of it this way, we hear so much negetive out there that when you get the positive you will accept it with open arms!!! I am proud to call you my friend and mentor....MO