Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Here is some of the ways I stayed happy this holiday

I have been struggling with stress issues at home and at work. The holidays can be stressful so here are the ways that I stayed sane, but I realize that I need to keep these practices throughout the year.  I copied and pasted these from my Facebook as a reminder to us all. 

You Can Do It!
MER 
 
Holiday Happiness: 
Days 17-24- Spend quality time with the people you love. This week I have been with my family and close friends. There is nothing better in life than saying,"I spent my time with the people who mean the most to me." That is a blessed life well spent.

Day 14, 15, 16: Unplug yourself from the media. I knew what happened in CT and was very sad about it, but had to stay away from the news. Hug the ones you love everyday and always tell them you love them.

Day 13- Wish upon a star. Geminid Meteor Shower in progress. Go out and see a falling star- dust particles hitting the atmosphere, but oh so pretty! The perfect time to start dreaming and wishing again. :)
 

Day 12- Write it down. Thinking that the world is going to end on 12-21-12? Writing my woes always provides me relief.


Day 11- Keep perspective. In the big picture of things how will this stress of today matter in a month? a year? The craziness of the season can make the small things feel big. Zoom out and see the it as a whole rather than a slice.

Day 10- When having a hard day remember your other identities- When I feel like a horrible wife, I remember my HSU friends and start planning our 25 year reunion, or I remember that I am a great mother to 2 beautiful children. If I have a hard time at work then I go to dinner with my girlfriends who love me for who I am. 

Day 9: Pet Something Fluffy. Animals can calm you down. Pet and tell them your troubles. They are good listeners. We adopted a fluffy bunny named Tribble. Looking forward to much hoppiness with our bunny. 
Day 8: Be distracted on purpose. Instead of dealing with the stress of the holidays distract yourself with something you enjoy. I'm at the movies with my daughter tonight. 

Day 7- Live in the present. Notice all that is around you. Take in with all your senses the joy of the moment this holiday season.  

Day 6- Stay in Contact. When you are stressed out or having a lousy day. It is best to stay in contact with people you are close with. Not that I had a bad day, but felt so much better after talking to my sister, mother-in-law and son's godfather. 

2 comments:

Alan said...

Glad you have had a great holiday. Happy New Year, too!

Mer said...

@Alan- Happy Holidays to you too! 2013 will be a great year!