Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day 58- Heart Hunger

From 100 days of Weight Loss (Linda Spangle)-
Heart hunger is another type of emotional eating. With heart hunger "you don't get a specific food craving- you just start thinking about eating."
"Anytime you want to eat, but don't know what you want, think heart hunger."
"It can make you want comfort foods or ones related to fond memories or happy times."

Heart hunger stems from empty emotions-

  • depressed
  • discouraged
  • lonely
  • bored
  • restless
  • hurt
  • disappointed
  • let down 
  • yearning for attention or appreciation
Key questions to ask myself- 
"What is making me feel empty right now? 
"What am I missing or needing in my life?
Will eating change this?

I have never read about this kind of emotional eating, but I see myself having "heart hunger" a lot in the past and sometimes even now I get home at the end of the day only to feel restless and discouraged by work or the circumstances of the day.  I would wander though the cupboards looking for something to make me feel better. Many times I would eat a little of this and then a little of that. The food did not make me feel better just more frustrated because the feeling of restlessness and discouragement was still there. 
I am going to be aware of the next time this want for food comes up, but don't know what I want to eat. During this time I am going to identify what is missing or empty and then do something that deals with what I really need. 

IF I CAN DO THIS- YOU CAN DO THIS!
NEVER GIVE UP!
Always,
Mer


No comments: