Sunday, February 13, 2011

Setting Goals to Win!

Years ago I read this book called- With Winning in Mind by Lanny Bassham. I had carefully highlighted the important parts and even post-noted the pages for easy reference. Sundays are my days to reset my goals. When I reached for my magic notebook Lanny's book fell off the shelf and the first thing I read was post-it note that I left for myself "Steps to Goal Setting." So here are the highlighted portions. It helped me and I hope it helps you as you start a new week to your new healthy lifestyle-

THE MENTAL MANAGEMENT GOAL SETTING SYSTEM-


Step 1- Decide exactly what you want- find goals that excite you and be specific


Step 2- Decide when you want it- putting a time limit on your goals helps you to formulate a plan to achieve them.


Step 3- List the pay value. Why do you want this goal? List the reasons that are important to you for achieving the goal. The goal must be your goal. To get what you want you have to get rid of what you don't want.


Step 4- Determine the obstacles in your way- Be specific. What habit and attitudes must you change to reach your goals? Remember nothing is going to get better until you get better. You must change!


Step 5- What is your plan to get your goal? Goals with written plans are almost always reached.  Prepare a written plan to overcome each obstacle. Now the price you must pay for the goal is clear. 


Step 6- Ask some important questions:
1. Do I really believe in my plan will work?
2. Do I really believe I can you do the plan?
3. Is the Prize worth the Price?


Step 7- Schedule your plan. Scheduling is a vital part of the planning process. 


Step 8- Start NOW! You are ready to go. Begin right away. Do not hesitate 


Step 9- Never reach a goal without first setting another one. Celebrate and then, know where you are going next. Don't be without a direction.


Step 10- Never, ever quit! Stay with your plan until you finish. 

1 comment:

Chubby McGee said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this. It's right on. If you focus like this little step-program sets you up to, you'll be successful. None of that excuse nonsense. LOVE IT!