Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Day 33- Fullness Scale & Goldilocks or Pancakes

From 100 day so of weight loss (Spangle)-

Focus Question: How do you know when you are full?

Stomach muscles start to expand when you eat so pay attention to how it feels so you learn how much your body needs.

Here is Spangle's 3 point Fullness Scale-

  0= Neutral, not hungry, not full
+1= Satisfied, comfortable, just right
+2= Too full, a little uncomfortable
+3= Stuffed, miserable

So just like Goldilocks and the 3 bowls of porridge think and instead of too cold, too hot and just right think- not full, too full and just right.

Or like my children who don't like porridge, but like to eat vanilla pancakes instead think-

No pancakes now I am not hungry.
Eat 1 pancake is just perfect! I am totally satisfied and feel just right!
Eat 2 pancakes and I am feeling too full and tummy is puffy with pancake fluff.
Eat 3 pancakes and I feel like one big pancake that is miserably round and fat.

Here is where my awareness needs to heighten-
  • Work at being able to recognize when I reach +1 or the exact spot where I feel satisfied and just right
  • Work on halting the shovel. I need to stop at that "just right" place no matter what is on my plate and I have to be ok with that.
  • Write in my magic notebook how much food I ate at "just right" and add how it feels until this becomes a new habit
It helps that I did a bunch of crunches this morning so I am aware of those core muscles. I can tell that getting more awareness to how full I am is going to be hard with everything else I am working on. So baby steps all the way. I will start with one meal and gradually to all 3 so that I can really learn the lesson here.

YOU CAN DO!
JUST TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME!
NEVER EVER GIVE UP ON YOU!

Always,
Mer

1 comment:

Grancracker said...

I learned about this at Weight Watchers. At first it was difficult to tell the difference, but I am learning. As I read somewhere, time to quit the Clean Plate Club.