Friday, July 15, 2011

Veggie Week

Ok – here you go – I promised weeks, even more then a month ago that I would share the “Veggie” week that I had. Boy, has it been since May. Wow!!! Where have the last two months gone?

Before I give you the rundown of this “diet” plan I have a few things to say that will let you know why I did this for MO. I did this for two reasons:

  1. I needed to find some discipline in my eating and picked this plan to help me.
  2. I needed to get to know my vegetables again, besides the one or two that I do eat.
This process did open my eyes. I not only realized that I was NOT getting enough vegetables, but I was being lazy and just taking the easy way out when it was time to make my meals. Since doing this week long process I have cut back on a lot of my processed foods. We don’t have a lot of carbs in the house anymore and that can cause some problems for me when I get the “munchies” for some crackers, but I have realized that I have been doing the munching for too long and well, that can explain some of my past weight gain and keeping on the weight for so long.

I received this from my “exercise want to be a body building star someday friend. I DO NOT know where she got the article from and who wrote it, but I know that she has done her research and would not take me down a crazy path. I was apprehensive at first and to be honest I have not told her that I actually did this. I had to give this a lot of thought, because I am not looking to get “ripped” as the article said, but I was just looking to see how I would do for a whole week with something different. If I could do a whole week, then I would then be able to make the changes that I needed to make on a regular basis with my eating.

Some of the highlights from the article state things like “the key to losing fat super fast and finally get the lean body you want hinges on vegetables” or “vegetables are loaded with all the stuff you probably don’t get enough of such as vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytonutrients”, and one more that says “this is one of the fastest, healthiest ways to boost fat burning to the max”

Here is the plan:

You can eat any vegetables from the following list in any amount. Just eat until you’re full four times a day. After day 1, the “diet” ……(I hate calling anything a diet, as I do think of my journey as a lifestyle – but this is actually a DIET, because you should not do this more than 1 time a month, in fact I don’t believe you should do it more then 1 time in every 3 months. I never want anyone to look at this as a “crash” diet, so my recommendation to those that are just trying to “lose” is do not do this just to “lose”, because this article comes from someone that is talking about getting “ribbed” so I look at this as more of a body-building diet)……ok – back on track………………After day 1, the “diet” will slightly shift toward protein sources.

And I quote “trust me when I say that this is one of the fastest, healthiest ways to boost fat burning to the max. It’s not easy, but it works incredibly well.”


Vegetables to choose from: (these are the only ones I really liked)

artichoke
asparagus
broccoli
brussel sprouts (didn’t purchase any – they just didn’t look good)
carrots
cauliflower
celery
green beans
mushrooms
onions
peppers

More Vegetables to choose from: (these I did not pick, because I truly am not a fan and didn’t want to waste anything)

beets
bok choy
cabbage
kale
okra
spinach
squash
tomato


All these vegetables can be eaten raw, steamed, or in a big salad drizzled with a little olive oil and/or balsamic vinegar (I found pomegranate balsamic vinegar, same as regular calorie wise, but I felt it was tastier)

DAY 1:            At 8am, noon, 4pm, and 8pm
Eat as much of any vegetable as you want, in any combination. You don’t have to eat at those exact times, but spread out the four meals as evenly as possible. Drink 100 ounces of water.

DAYS 2-4: Eat vegetables at the same four times each day (as day 1), but add in 20 grams of protein from fish, chicken, lean beef, turkey, eggs or seafood at 8am and 4pm meals. This equates to 3-4 ounces of fish, chicken, lean beef, turkey, or seafood or 3-4 whole eggs at those two meals. Drink 100 ounces of water.

DAYS 5-7: At 8am, noon, 4pm, and 8pm eat vegetables in any combination and quantity and have 20 grams of protein (3-4 ounces) from fish, chicken, lean beef, turkey, seafood or 3-4 eggs at each meal. Drink 100 ounces of water.

What the rest of the article says – (remember, this is a body building article)

What about supplements? For one week I recommend you avoid any of them, even after lifting weights. This should not be a week where you’re looking to achieve a new one-rep max in your lifts. Think of this as a detox program for your body and organs with the side-effect being rapid fat loss.

On the morning of day 1 take your weight and waist measurement (around your navel) and repeat those measurements on the morning of Day 8 – the day you return to your normal schedule.

Fast fat loss doesn’t have to be complicated. Give this 7-day plan a try and you’ll see how effective a simple plan can be to finally bring those cuts out of hiding. (see, he is referring to “bodybuilding” here)


Mo’s breakdown:

I was not particularly a fan of eating vegetables on the first day. I mean, really, how in the world do you have a breakfast of broccoli? I started on a Sunday so that if I did have any huge issues I would be ok by my work days. I learned to love egg omelets with vegetables. It was wonderful to actually make my own meals and make them work. I loved the egg option, so some work days I would take a few hard boiled eggs with me. I over bought vegetables, can you believe that? I think I went to the store hungry and then there was this fear that I would not have enough to eat, so I would have to go back to the store – oh no – not that. So, some of my vegetables ran over to the next week. I did purchase some fresh green beans, but I do believe I went off program by getting a few canned beans. Easier for me to have at work, and being too lazy…but I drained out the water as best as I could.

I have to remind you again, that I did not do this to lose the fat. I did this more to give myself the discipline I wanted and needed. I don’t necessarily recommend this just so you can lose, I do however recommend it for the pure fact that I now love more vegetables again. I did have good numbers for this week. Per my friend, most people have dropped 8 pounts on average. I dropped 11 pounds and up until last weeks carb fest at Scout Camp I had been able to keep 9 of them off. I measured two places – at my belly button I dropped 1 full inch and then in my middle I dropped close to 2.2 inches. I have not measured since then, but do believe I am still holding strong with those numbers. I stuck to my guns, only had one tsp of sour cream, 1 piece of string cheese and had a really good laugh when I did dinner at Chevy’s Mexican restaurant one night and when I asked for more vegetables they gave me tons and tons of onions. Had the freshest breath in the place - J

After the 8th day, you for sure should not go back to your same old same old. You will have to be ready for this week. Ready with the tools that you will need to continue losing or keep the weight off that you lost during the full week. This is not so you can get into the fancy jeans or good looking dress or maybe you have this knockout outfit that you want to wear and you do the “beauty pageant” thing and want to drop weight fast. Please Please don’t think this is a quick fix.

Off to meet up with Mer this weekend - 5K all the Way Saturday!!

Staying MOtivated MO

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting and simple. Regardless of what method you use to take some weight off (or change of lifestyle in your case), you are absolutely right, you need to have a plan coming off of it or right back you go to where you were before.

Thanks for the report.